There are few simple things you can do now to make sure that your home is ready for summer. Those lazy days are just around the corner and you may be ready for them, but your home may not be. It’s remarkable, how even minor home mishaps can sometimes throw a monkey wrench in your plans and cause unnecessary frustration. Following are a few tried-and-true practices to assure both you and your home are ready for easy living this summer.
1. Have rugs and floors professionally cleaned. Have a professional crew in to clean your floors and rugs. Do it now while there’s less traffic and you’ll be pleased when the warm summertime sun shines on your glistening floors and doesn’t highlight rug stains.
2. Test your A/C. Just change the setting from heat to “cool” and turn down the thermostat. Let the A/C unit run for at least 30 minutes. If it’s not running properly or cooling efficiently, you’ll have the time to call for A/C repair before it’s an emergency and this will save you money. Plus, you don’t want to find out your A/C isn’t working properly in the middle of an early hot streak. Crazy weather patterns have been the norm this year!
3. Clean your air ducts. Dirty air ducts are major contributors to allergies and sinus problems. They need to be cleaned annually to ensure that you’re breathing clean air inside your home. Make it a priority to get that done now, while your A/C is not in use.
4. Get your fans ready. Now is the time to take out a ladder and dust off the blades of ceiling fans. Portable fans should be cleaned, too. And, if you need more fans, you’d be wise to hit discount or home improvement stores now, as the prices on fans will increase during summer.
5. What’s in the freezer? Summertime weather also means lighter fare, as you’ll be consuming more seasonal foods and fresh fruits and vegetables are abundant this time of year. So, scan your freezer for heavier meat and pasta dishes, like lasagna, and use those now. This way you’ll make room for lighter, summer foods.
Summer ushers in longer days spent at a more leisurely pace. Make sure you’re able to fully enjoy this time of year by completing these tasks now to ensure you’ll be sipping lemonade and enjoying quality time with your family when more sunshine is here to inspire you to do just that!
And, if you really want to enjoy a stress-free summer, consider purchasing a home warranty to keep your home’s systems and appliances running smoothly. This will help to ensure that you don’t end up spending hard-earned vacation funds on costly repairs or replacements.
The information in this article is intended to provide guidance on the proper maintenance and care of systems and appliances in the home. Not all of the topics mentioned are covered by our home warranty or maintenance plans. Please review your home warranty contract carefully to understand your coverage.